Are you wondering, “How am I going to sell my house fast in The Colony, TX?”
Before you learn the answer, there’s another question you’ll want to ask yourself first.
What Mistakes Should You Avoid When Selling a House in The Colony, TX?
Selling your house, condo, duplex, or other real estate can be complicated and confusing.
There are many things that can go wrong, but with careful planning, you can avoid these pitfalls:
Underestimating (Or Missing) The Costs of Selling
You expect to get a big return when you sell something as valuable as a house. But the effort to get your house sold can end up costing you a lot of money – and eat into any profit you make from the proceeds.
The biggest expense can be agent commissions. Typically, a real estate agent or broker will take a 6% cut from the final sale price. So if your house sells for $250,000, your agent will get about $15,000.
In some situations, the buyer will negotiate for the seller to cover the buyer’s agent commission, too. So that’s another chunk of the sale to deduct.
During the sale process, staging costs can add up fast. From hiring a photographer to a landscaping crew, you can end up spending thousands of dollars to make your home presentable.
Throw in other costs like moving, ongoing expenses like utilities and HOA dues, and you quickly see how high the price of selling can go.
Downplaying or Hiding Problems
Whether it’s a leaky roof or urgently-needed foundation repair, you may be afraid to bring up big issues to buyers, for fear of a reduced sale price.
Ultimately, any problems will likely be found by an inspector, and that can lead to a deal falling apart – or a much lower negotiated price.
Spending $$$ to Make Major Repairs
On the other hand, you may be tempted to pay for major repairs yourself before the sale. This, too, can be a mistake.
While you can spend thousands of dollars out-of-pocket on foundation repair, or getting a new roof if insurance didn’t cover it, you may not be getting your money’s worth when you sell.
While a repair problem can drive the final sale price down, getting it fixed won’t necessarily bring it up. So, by paying for repairs now, you may break even at best – or end up losing money in the long run.
Sell Your House Fast in The Colony, TX in 3 Easy Steps
Once you’ve decided to sell, there are three basic steps you can take to get it out the door. Keep in mind, the amount of time and money it takes to sell will vary greatly, depending on your circumstances.
- Get the House in Showing Shape. This is perhaps the most-important step: ensure that everything is clean, from top to bottom. Landscape the front yard; power-wash the walls and driveway; clean up clutter; and thoroughly clean and disinfect every surface, from kitchen counters to toilets. Have your carpet and hard floors professionally cleaned as well, or rent a floor cleaning machine and do it yourself.
- Decide Your Sales Method. For many sellers, this path will lead to hiring a real estate agent, and letting them take care of marketing. Or, you can choose to do it yourself. Either way, you’ll want to consider when and how to list; make sure to get lots of great photos; and advertise the listing to attract buyers.
- Solicit Offers and Choose the Best One. If everything goes smoothly in steps 1 and 2, the bids will start rolling in. Now comes the hard part: selecting the winner. You won’t always want the highest offer; it may come with contingencies, like the buyer selling their current house first.
How to Sell Your House in The Colony for Top Dollar
It goes without saying that you want to get the maximum possible return when you sell your house in The Colony. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
Understand Your Local Market
As the saying goes, real estate is all about location – but not just the street address.
When you sell your house in The Colony, you’ll want to think more broadly than just your block. You’re selling in Collin County, a cornerstone of the Dallas – Fort Worth Metroplex. It’s the largest real estate market in Texas, and the fifth-largest metro area in the United States.
Do some basic research online and learn what’s happening with real estate across DFW, as well as more locally, down to your ZIP code and subdivision or neighborhood. Items of focus should include:
- How many homes are for sale right now
- How many homes have sold in the last 30 days
- How long listed homes are staying on the market
- The median (not average) sale price for homes
Set the Right Price
Once you have that data in hand, you can start to think about how much you’ll ask when you put your home up for sale.
When comparing prices of other homes sold in The Colony and around North Texas, make sure you pay attention to the final sale, not the list price. It’s not often that a house sells for precisely the amount first set by the seller!
Naturally, pricing your home too low will prevent you from getting top dollar, because savvy buyers will quickly and gladly take it.
Conversely, pricing too high will hurt you by scaring off some buyers, and prompting others to aggressively negotiate for a lower price.
Finding a balance is tough, but with the right information and attention to detail, you can do it!
Determine How You Will Sell Your Home
Once you have a price in mind, you’ll want to decide the method you use to find a buyer.
In essence, there are three primary ways you can sell your house, apartment, condo, duplex, or other real estate in The Colony:
- Hire an agent. This is the most “traditional” way of selling a house – paying a professional to do most of the dirty work for you. Expect to pay a premium for their services.
- Go it alone. Also called “for sale by owner” or “FSBO”, this means you’re taking care of everything yourself, from marketing to negotiating.
- Sell your house for cash. Selling to an investor, like Local Cash Buyers, eliminates the time and hassle of the other methods, while getting you a fair price for your home.
What to Ask Before Selling Your House in The Colony, Texas
In addition to avoiding those common errors, you’ll want to ensure you are well-informed before you sell your house.
Here are a few helpful questions to ask – and answer – as you prepare to list your home.
What is the Best Time of Year to Sell My House?
Generally, real estate experts give two pieces of advice when it comes to timing:
- Avoid selling your house in the winter months, especially around the holiday season.
- Try to sell your house in the springtime, especially around early May.
Of course, the best time to sell your house may be “right now!” depending on the state of the market, and your own needs and desires.
Should I Hire a Real Estate Agent?
If you ask any real estate professional whether you should hire an agent, their answer will inevitably be an enthusiastic yes!
Granted, a real estate broker or agent can be a huge help. A good agent will take care of staging, marketing, negotiating, and steering you clear of costly mistakes.
Naturally, real estate agents must be paid for their services, and that payment typically comes in the form of a cut of the final sale price; often up to 6 percent. So, if you sell your house in The Colony for $250,000, you’ll be paying the agent about $15,000.
Selling on your own comes with its own set of perks, such as cost savings and being in total control of the process. But it can be a lot of work.
A third alternative is selling your house directly to a cash investor, like Local Cash Buyers, with no fees or closing costs.
Should I Hire an Inspector?
Again, this is entirely optional, and you can save a few hundred dollars by not hiring your own inspector before listing your house.
In any event, you can bet that most buyers will have an inspection done prior to closing. If their inspector finds anything you missed, it could force a renegotiation to a lower sale price, or derail the deal entirely.
Alternatively, Local Cash Buyers doesn’t require an inspection. We’ll buy your house as-is, after one brief visit to the property!
Sell Your House Fast in The Colony, TX
We have a solution that will help you avoid all of the above: a written cash offer presented to you within 24 hours of our visit to your house.
It’s a solution that’s helped hundreds of homeowners just like you sell their house in a matter of days, and it can work for you, too.
- Research: After you contact us, we learn more about the property and arrange a brief visit.
- Offer: We give you a written cash offer on the house within 24 hours of our visit.
- Close: When you accept the offer, we close in as little as 7 days.
Not Sure You Can Sell Your House Now in The Colony, TX?
There are many reasons you might believe you can’t sell your house, condo, or duplex. We can still buy even if:
- The house needs work, including plumbing, foundation or structural repairs. We purchase houses in as-is condition.
- You’re upside down on your mortgage.
- You’re behind on your payments and want to avoid foreclosure.
- You’ve want to sell probate inherited property quickly.
- Bad tenants are living in the house and you are tired of dealing with them.
- You’re going through a divorce or separation and want a quick, efficient way to deal with the house.
We look forward to helping you sell house fast in The Colony, TX now!
The Colony, TX Real Estate Market at a Glance
Data show houses in The Colony are staying on the market for about 33 days. Your home could take sell faster, or take longer to sell, depending on a number of factors.
The median sale price of houses in The Colony is about $350,000.
We buy houses in The Colony ZIP code 75056 and surrounding areas.